OUTSTANDING HUNTING ACHIEVMENT AWARD
This award is given solely for outstanding achievements in the finite area of big game hunting.
The OHAA consists of two parts: 1) a large permanent display with each recipient’s name engraved on a plaque and a portrait to be hung prominently at DSC headquarters, and 2) a magnificent Ovis Ammon Ammon sheep bronze sculpture – given to each winner with their name and accomplishments upon it. The award will be the exclusive property of DSC. It will not necessarily be given every year.
There are several collections and criteria acceptable for this award such as the collection of the North American 29, the DSC African Grand Slam, and the collection of any twelve of the sheep of the world. Additional Accomplishments in conservation or education are not considered for this award. For the specific information on all acceptable criteria, turn to page 54 in the DSC Resource Guide.
To submit an application:
• The candidate must be a Life Member of DSC (and must have been a Life Member for at least four (4) years immediately prior to submitting an application).
• At least sixty percent (60%) of all trophies required for any one category must have been taken while a member of DSC.
• Weatherby Award winners and hunting professionals are not eligible.
• This award may be won by an individual only once.
• Applications for this award may only be submitted by the individual involved.
• Once an application and its criteria have been accepted by the committee, the candidate will remain a candidate for the award until he or she wins the award, unless the candidate is subsequently rejected by the committee for a hunting or ethics violation, resigns from DSC, or withdraws the application. Even if an animal that was not huntable at the time the application was submitted becomes huntable, the candidate will not be required to collect that animal.
1.) The application must include an organized list of the animals taken, including for each animal:
• Location taken
• Date taken
• Name of guide or outfitter, if applicable
• Field photo of the hunter with the animal
• Official score sheet for each animal completed by an official measurer (green measurements are acceptable).
2.) Each application requires a signed Fair Chase and Hunting Ethics Affidavit.
Certain species (such as African Lion) may require additional forms.
Completed applications must be received by the OHAA Chair by May 15 to be eligible for the award at the following Convention.
The award committee shall consist of a Chair and the previous winners of the OHAA who are current DSC members in good standing and who wish to serve on the committee. The Chair shall be elected by the committee and does not have to be an OHAA winner. The Chair must be extensively experienced in international big game hunting. The committee determines who will serve on the committee the following year, selects a three-year Chair, and transacts any other business as necessary.
See the list of Selection Criteria on the link below or check pages 53-57 in the DSC Resource Guide.
The criteria may change, so any applicant should contact the DSC office for the latest requirements. The animals required for the Malek Award will not be an acceptable criterion.
OHAA WINNER - 2019